Saturday, July 10, 2004

Resident Evil: Apocalypse

Loved the first one. My sister didn't but my friends did. It was awesome, fast paced and had twists and scares, which is enough for me. Not too gorey or shocking either, so I was easily pleased.Click on pic, to see trailer
The trailer is another matter.

First off, I was tentative when I first watched this trailer, avoiding the beginning because having watched the teaser completely scared my socks off. The teaser looked like an ad, a beauty, cosmetic ad. But knowing the movie was about zombies, I had a pretty good idea where it was going to go. And it did.
The trailer begins off the same. A man sitting at home, watching the ad. And then she turns suddenly into this dead creature (which by the way, none of them did). It probably scared me more because she resembled the girl from the Ring.
Anyway, it goes on to show what happened while Alice (Milla Jovovich) was out and the city was taken over. Umbrella it seemed, re-opened the hive and the city caught the contagion. Sealing off the area was a bad idea, leaving main-characters that worked for them inside.
Fortunately at the same time, someone else (not sure if it was Umbrella) had taken Alice and subjected her to things (not sexual) that enhanced her. Think Ripley in Aliens Four. So she's faster, meaner, tougher and ready to take on those dudes, memory completely restored. Anyway, she goes in to save them.
Unfortunately Eric Mabius who was the only other survivor (should I call him survivor?) has been turned into the Nemesis, a vastly, mutated thing that's after their team and by the name, Alice, his match.
The trailer offers this whole story, all packed into one, as long as you knew what happened in the first film. Its a great trailer, explaining yet also tempting you to watch more. There's this cool bit where Alice is running down the side of the building as it explodes above her. The CGI characters which my sister laughed at in the beginning also look better too, more real, more life-like and a lot more ready to fucking kill you. As for the other characters, most of them are reminiscent of the previous movie. Except for the new 'kick-ass' girl who lashes off cliched lines like: "I'm good but I'm not that good,". I can't blame her, but soon enough I'll find her annoying. I like Milla, but I don't know, her voice and character are just an emulation of our heroine.
While watching the trailer, I couldn't help picking up things from other movies. The 'survivor' they pick up from the lost city, a little girl. (Aliens Two) The way Milla holds her guns and puts them into her belt (Tombraider). Yet, for an action movie in this day and age, it looks realistic. It doesn't look like too much CGI has been used, the sets, the characters, the ass-kicking looks real and well done. I can't say what to expect but since those helming the first one are back, with a bigger budget and more characters and a bigger danger I prophesise the best. 8/10 for me. But who knows? I deducted two because of the annoying girl and the cliched lines. WE need Whedon here.

~ M.M.W ~

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home